Book Review: The Truth by Dr Barbara Becker Holstein

Title: The Truth: I'm a Girl, I'm Smart and I know Everthing
Author: Dr Barbara Becker Holstein
Publisher:
Published:
ISBN:

Summary: "THE TRUTH is a delightful, humorous secret diary, written by a girl who is 11-12 years of age. She is wise and yet innocent. Her words acknowledge those priceless truths that we all knew as kids. She makes us cry and laugh and see ourselves. Everybody loves reading her thoughts, secrets, adventures and solutions to difficult problems. Girls are naturally curious and this book gives them a real opportunity to see how a girl like themselves in so many ways handles her toughest problems and most personal thoughts.
Mom can read the book along with her daughter and not only be brought back to herself as a youngster, but find on every page relevant topics for discussion with her daughter. How do you handle a bully? How do you handle a crush on a boy? What about teasing? How do you find time to listen to your daughter? Do we have enough fun together? What really matters? There is space right within the book for the girl and or mom to make notes or her own diary entries."

This book is a flashback for me to 6th grade.  I totally remember wondering when I could get a  bra (as a skinny girl it happened later than some LOL) also my parents got divorced a year later so I remember them always fighting and worrying about them and them not even noticing.  I think it was really sad that she had questions but was afraid to ask her mom and when she did ask, her mom would blow her off and change the subject.  Reading this reminds me of the importance of answering my kids questions and never forgetting how important their feelings are.

This book makes you laugh and cry and is a must for read for all parents but especially those with girls.  In about 2 years I want to sit down and read this with Kayla.  I think it will be hugely beneficial to both of us!  I think that reading this will help young girls and pre-teens realize that what they feel is not unique and that pretty much every girl has the same feelings and questions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Ms. Ladybug and a PillowPet Giveaway!!

BlogFest 2010!!!!

Hand Made with Love Giveaway!!!