Book Review Lucy Springer Gets Even

Title: Lucy Springer Gets Even
Author: Lisa Heidke
Publisher: Allen & Unwin
Published: January 1, 2009
ISBN: 978-1741755831

Summary: "Lucy Springer thinks she's got it tough. She's living through renovation hell, her two kids seem more challenging than ever, and her once successful acting career has been reduced to the odd commercial. Then Max, her husband, absconds to Bali with an unknown companion and things go from bad to disastrous. But Lucy doesn't give up easily. Juggling increasingly chaotic building dramas, bewildered children, her crazy best friend/agent Gloria, and her ever helpful mother with chasing after Max, Lucy Springer is determined to get her life onto an even keel and more. This delightful new novel is an often hilarious account of triumphing over adversity, following your dreams and listening to your heart."

This is a really good book.  The characters relly come to life: such as Patch- the building supervisor who wears an eye patch and Gloria, Lucy's over the top crazy agent who is always trying to get her to do reality TV.  I also love Lucy!!  I love how she is not a perfect Mom.  Too many times in books, Mothers are portrayed as perfect and Lucy is definitly not perfect.  But she is comfortable with her faults and I like that!

This book starts with Lucy and her Hubby sitting around the table eating Thai food.  He pushes his plate away and says "I've had enough."  He then walks out of the house.  She finally realizes, after talking to his secretary a few days later, that he isn't coming back.  She then receives a post card from him saying he needs to think about their life and marriage and is Bali!!

Wow.  I am not sure what I would do if my Hubby took off without so much as a word but I'm pretty sure it would involve bodily injury!!!  And to make life even worse, he left her in the middle of a huge home remodel project, that he wanted!  She has a leaky roof, no kitchen, and loud, crazy builders that don't feel like doing a lot of building.  And she has to stay strong for her 2 kids.

Have no fear!!  Lucy Springer does get even as the title suggests.  I don't want to spoil the ending but it is hilarious!!! This is definitely one of those books where you yell at the characters.  "I hate you!!" or "NOOOO!  Don't believe him!!  His is so obviously lying!!" (Don't look at me like I'm crazy!  You don't yell at the books you read?)  I HIGHLY recommend this book to everyone.  Rating: Photobucket

Comments

  1. Hi Allison,
    I am so glad you liked the book. Lucy was a great character to write, as was her crazy best friend/agent, Gloria. I felt a bit sad when Lucy's journey came to an end. Now I'm starting to think, 'I wonder if I could write a sequel?'
    Once again, thanks for your enthusiasm! Appreciate it.
    Cheers,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Ms. Ladybug and a PillowPet Giveaway!!

BlogFest 2010!!!!

Hand Made with Love Giveaway!!!